It is difficult to imagine something more ill-advised than playing drinking games during a 24-hour movie marathon. You think a night of drinking and a morning hangover is tough? Try combining those two things and adding no sleep on top of it. I’m not gonna lie: that sounds rough.
But, it does make you think: could you devise a set of rules for a movie marathon drinking game if you wanted to? Most of the movie drinking games out there are focused on one movie or a small collection of movies. How could you keep a drinking game going through a movie marathon that has a variety of movies?
I say: easy! Just be on the lookout for overused movie clichés. Movies are often a playground of recycled ideas, impossible physics, and overused tropes. You just need a watchful eye to spot them, and a drink in hand to take advantage of them.
Movie Marathon Drinking Game Rules
Take a Drink When Your Action Movie Has…
- Characters that walk away from a giant explosion without looking at it.
- A villain who decides to start a monologue when the hero is in his clutches
- A single boss, computer, or spaceship that is blown up and renders an entire army of bad guys instantly useless.
- A bomb that is defused with zero or one seconds remaining
- A car that explodes after falling off a cliff, getting shot, or otherwise touched in any way.
- The Wilhelm Scream
- A character who throws away a gun like a used napkin when it is out of bullets
- A Mexican standoff, wherein three or more characters, engage in a duel.
Take a Drink When Your Horror Movie Has…
- A car that fails to start when the character really needs it
- A character trying to use a phone, but there is no reception / dial tone
- A character who falls to the ground when running from a threat
- Something totally scary is coming, here it comes, it is going to be really scary – oh it is just a cat.
- A character who movies a bathroom mirror and suddenly sees A SCARY THING BEHIND THEM!
- A character bitten by a zombie who decides not telling anyone is the best way to go
- A character who asks: “Is anyone there?”
- A REALLY LOUD JUMP SCARE SOUND
Take a Drink When Any Movie Has…
- A training montage.
- A homely character who becomes sexy the minute they remove their glasses
- A kiss between the love interests…interrupted at the last possible second.
- A character who is definitely, totally dead and defeated…until they aren’t.
- Hidden keys located right next to where they are used in the most obvious hiding place imaginable
- An air vent any character of any size can crawl through to get anywhere in a building
- Rain at a funeral
- An inspiring speech that motivates the good guys / sports team.
- A dying person who gives an eloquent speech for his last words
- Someone knocked unconscious due to any mild blow to the head
- Falls from a great height but are ok since they landed in water
- A computer system that is quickly hacked by looking intently at a screen and pressing buttons fast
- A computer is used to magically resolve a problem (solve a crime, defeat the enemy) because computers can do anything.
- The big revelation that it was all a dream.
Movie Marathon Drinking Game Further Reading
- Movie Cliches.com
- Wikipedia’s list of movie cliches
- Games Radar’s 47 greatest movie cliches
- Den of Geek’s 100 Movie Cliches that just won’t die